Here we are, it’s Monday, it’s a new month – all the things are fresh! And while I’m always saying you can change things up any day, there’s something about beginnings that is just irresistible to me! It’s a great month to get to know yourself on a deeper level with these self-discovery journal prompts.
I am not a licensed therapist or mental health professional. If you are suffering and need treatment please seek the help of a professional. This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Why should I journal?
My life can be really chaotic, I bet yours is too. Sometimes the chaos is external and sometimes it’s internal and I’ve got some of both going on. Right now, many of us are experiencing less alone time, and some of us are facing way too much of it (digital learning, eeek). It’s tempting to binge watch TV or fall into emotional eating (my weakness) or other numbing behaviors to make peace with current circumstances. There’s even times where I’m tempted to give in to the out of control feelings rather than work through them and quiet them down. Spiraling into the anxiety feels easier at that time, but I know long term it will just make the climb back up even harder.
Enter journaling. When I set my intention to spend even as little as 10 minutes a day writing out my thoughts, it starts to bring them into formation. And when they are more organized, I feel more in control. And even when I’m resisting that, as it starts to happen and I feel some peace, I do want more of. It helps to turn a feelings spiral around.
Gotcha, but why use self discovery prompts?
In the midst of chaotic emotions, it is a relief not to have to come up with a starting point for the writing. This is not a time to be trying to figure out what to write about. That may feel like an obstacle too high to climb right then. So, for those days, just get started! You can work your way through the list in order or randomly choose a prompt to use. In fact, if you google “random number generator,” it will do it for you! Whatever way you choose to jump in, don’t be paralyzed by indecision!
And now, the self discovery journal prompts! In no particular order:
- When do you feel the most whole?
- What breaks your heart?
- What topic makes you speak up every single time?
- What is your most unpopular opinion?
- What makes you smile no matter what?
- Who gives you the feeling you can do anything?
- Who makes you feel like nothing?
- If you could be anything at all, what would you be?
- If you could study anything at all, what would you study?
- Is it important to you to leave a public legacy?
- Do you want to be famous?
- If you wrote a book, what would it be about?
- What can you speak for 30 minutes about with no preparation?
- Think about last week. What emotion stands out to you?
- How do you feel on rainy days?
- How do you feel on sunny days?
- Do you think people are inherently good?
- What does the word “God” mean to you?
- What is your favorite song?
- What is your favorite type of music?
- How does your favorite music make you feel?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Who was your favorite elementary school teacher and why?
- If you went to college, do you like the topic you got your degree in?
- If you could redo it, would you choose a different major?
- What is your dream vacation if money was no object?
- Who would you love to meet who is alive today?
- Who would you love to meet, alive or not?
- What animal would you love to have as a pet?
- How do pets make you feel?
- Jump-rope or hulahoop?
- What is your most fun, relaxed memory of your childhood?
- What does happiness feel like?
- What does fulfillment look like?
- Do you like where you are in your life right now?
- How do you feel about being alive for another 50 years?
- What emotions does the word “money” bring up?
- What is your strongest relationship?
- What is your most stressful relationship?
- What do you like most about being an adult?
- What do you like least about being an adult?
- Do you prefer being the team leader or team member?
- Does gardening make you feel peaceful?
- What hobby would you like to try the most?
- What is your biggest secret?
- What is the biggest secret someone has ever told you?
- There are so many types of exercise, what is your favorite?
- What do you want to get out of life?
- If you could choose any nickname, what would it be?
- Does ketchup belong on hotdogs?
I hope you will use these self discovery journal prompts to help find the peace within you, buried under all the chaos. It’s one of my biggest successes in stopping the negative emotion slide. You’ve got this!
Self discovery is so important and love journalling, great tips Samantha!
Love these! Pinned for later and my followers. Thanks for sharing!
Erika Marie says
love these for my morning journaling time! thanks for the prompts (:
These are some fabulous ideas, and . . . they would all make great blog post topics as well! Going to save this for when I need motivation. 😉 Thank you for sharing. ❤
Great post- thank you. I’ve always been rubbish at journalling but I think it’s important to get to where I want to be. So this is a good reminder.
It’s a habit that can be hard to keep up with, hope these make it easier!
Matt Taylor says
That is an awesome list of journal prompts. I have a journal that I started when I was 10 years old. Unfortunately I am horrible about writing in it. I need to get on that
I’ve never tried journaling before, but I’ve been thinking about doing it. I’ve read that it’s very good for mental well-being and creativity.
I love all of these. I need to start journaling more. I began doing it a while back, but I slacked off.
These are great ideas. The longer you journal, the harder it can become to write about new things. This is going to help me a lot!
Kevin Brotac says
This is a great idea. I have been battling with myself and anxiety ever since the lockdown started. Sometimes our minds can be very hard on ourselves and it i very important to keep it under control, I think this is a great idea, I am definitely going to start writing a little bit daily to keep my thought controlled.
Emily Fata says
I love all of these journal prompts! I journal nearly every single day, so I’ll definitely be pulling from your ideas on my next entries.
Chyna Nicole says
I fell in love at the Sunflowers! JK such a great post and I will definitely incorporate these prompts in my meditations.
It would be fun to go through each one of these like a to do list! I love “what gives you the feeling you could do anything?”
Emman Damian says
Great journal prompts! I love this line “Think about last week. What emotion stands out to you?” It’s really helpful for me!
Ntensibe Edgar says
Nnniiiccceeeeeee…I have found one prompt that spoke to me so much, amongst all these. It is, “What topic makes you speak up every single time?”
Stephanie | Adventures in Aussieland says
I love journaling. I find that it helps with my daily meditation. I can often utilise prompts to incorporate into my daily mantras. I love these prompts! I’ll definitely have to add them to my list of daily questions.
Hazel Salcedo says
This is such a nice list! This question made me pause and think for a while – What can you speak for 30 minutes about with no preparation? Now I have something to think about and ponder on!
This is a deep journaling prompt list. Many of these will awaken the soul.
I am just starting my journaling journey. Thanks for all the tips.